Capitol City Produce
Hiring: AP Specialist
Location: Baton Rouge, LA
Under general supervision of the Accounts Payable Supervisor the Accounts Payable Specialist will be a hands-on professional responsible for accounts payable processing, researching and resolving problems and inquiries, and serving as a backup for the Accounts Payable Supervisor. This position ensures company policies and procedures are being adhered to as they pertain to accounts payable. The Accounts Payable Specialist should have well-rounded accounting and systems skills to help drive department efficiencies and automation. The position requires a highly conscientious, reliable professional who will be discreet with sensitive information and has adherence to deadlines and attention to detail.
- Minimum of 2-3 years in an Accounts Payable role
- High School Diploma or equivalent required
- Prior experience in accounting a strong advantage
- Excellent organization, verbal and written communication skills
- Strong sense of responsibility, ownership and excellent attention to detail
- Mastery of accurate data entry and multitasking in a fast-paced environment
- Proficient with MS Office suite and G-Suite
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Code, enter, and scan all inventory and expense vendor invoices, internal check requests, and employee expense reports for multiple companies in accordance with the purchasing policy
- Work with the Procurement Assistant to resolve discrepancies between purchase orders, receiving documents, and vendor invoice.
- Ensure all quality and quantity issues related to inbound receiving are reported timely to vendors and finalized through the settlement process
- Process freight claims with inbound carriers as needed
- Verify crossdock operations are billed correctly and cost allocated accurately to the respective warehouses
- Process files due on two buying group’s member aging reports to meet mandatory Tuesday/Thursday payment deadlines’
- Distribute aging reports to managers weekly to proactively address items due
- Set up new vendors ensuring receipt of all required documents and information
- Maintain the vendor master file with accurate, up-to-date vendor data
- Build and maintain strong working relationships with vendors and buyers
- Resolve in-person, email, and phone inquiries with a sense of urgency
- Research and resolve any past due balances listed on vendor statements
- Identify vendors paid by check and convert to be paid by ACH
- Maintain backup documentation to support payments from multiple check runs
- Process vendor payments including weekly ACH and check batches
- Manage and maintain the integrity of the Accounts Payable filing system
- Reconcile the corporate AMEX card accounts
- Maintain accrual spreadsheet for period-end
- Prepare 1099s to meet end-of-January deadline
- Provide required documentation to fulfill requests from auditors
- Serve as backup to Accounts Payable Supervisor in their absence or as needed
- Perform other accounting duties or special projects requested by management
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. An employee should contact his or her Supervisor or the Human Resources Department if he or she believes that an accommodation is needed. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to follow all office environment physical demands.
Work Environment and Environmental Conditions:
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions:
- Work environment is usually fast paced with frequent short deadlines and regular instances of critical or unusual situations requiring a high level of adaptability and flexibility.
- Field of work includes offices, the refrigerated warehouse and surrounding grounds.
- Limited hazards due to visits to the warehouse and surrounding areas.
The employee also understands that nothing in this restricted job description is intended to nor does it change the at will employment status with Capitol City Produce. The employee will acknowledge that they have read and understand the position description, and agree to accept the responsibilities and obligations outlined above by signing and dating below